Example 6: Damped Spring
A simple model to demonstrate damped spring behavior.
Viewing this model in Nova
To run this model:
- Launch Nova
- Select Menu Item File | Browse Model Library
- Open folder 2-Dynamic Systems Models and double-click DampedSpring
About this model
This model reproduces Hannon & Ruth's damped spring Stella model, however it adds a plug-in that visualizes the motion of the spring, in addition to the graph of that motion over time. Through Nova's Plug-in API, Java programmers can add new features for visualization and other purposes.
Running the model
To run this model follow these steps:
Running this model:
- Click on the Capture button in the tool bar.
- Click Load next to “Capture.”
- Click Exec to run the model through multiple iterations. Click Stop to stop the run before completion.
- To run the model step by step, click Capture, Load, Init, then Step.
- To rerun the model you may omit the Capture, Load steps.
- To have the model run more slowly adjust the speed slider above the Dashboard.